Translate

Thursday, May 21, 2015

YOLO...or nah?

Since popular sayings don't stick around very long, YOLO is sooo last year! The phrase, which means "You only live once", caught on as a fad among those young and old. Why? Because it was a permissive phrase that allowed people to practice a freedom they'd never before experienced. It was encouraging! It was liberating! And... it was FALSE!

This past Saturday, my godbrother was lain to rest in the best homegoing celebration I've ever witnessed. My godparents paid tribute by continuing their music ministry, directing the choir and playing the keyboard. The percussionist played the most awesome drum tribute to honor Robert's gift of percussion for over 25 years. Not to mention, the choir sang their faces off! It was an awesome celebration. Although I got choked up a time or two, I couldn't cry like I wanted. I knew he was finally at peace because, unlike me, he was truly living.

To think that we only live once is short-term thinking. If we are a godly people, we will live twice: once here on earth and once more forever...in eternity. So, what should be our guiding practices? Should we be so consumed with the here and now that we forego the reality of our future immortality? Should we spend so much of our time living for today that we don't prepare ourselves for our much longer tomorrow?

I don't know about you, but I spend way more of my time focused on the present and the near future than I do preparing for eternity. What will I wear? Why do I feel this way? Who might get a taste of my mind today? Where are my keys?!?

However, to prepare for eternity means that we understand that our lives should be lived a way that lines up with our salvation. That God has intended that we live for Him and that we get ready for what He has in store. Getting ready means that we have full faith in Him. Having full faith in Him means that we live a life that is reflective of His grace, mercy, and Word. Living a life for Him here on earth will come with lasting rewards in our second life.

We know that He has "prepared a place for us" and that in His Father's house there are "many mansions" (John 14). So, all of us can look forward to living in a house worthy of display on MTV Cribs. We also know that never again will we hunger and never again will we thirst (Revelations 7), so everybody's gonna eat...good! We know that He will wipe every tear from every eye (Revelations 7 and Revelations 21), so there will be no need for waterproof mascara!  We know there will be no more death and no more destruction (Revelations 21), so RIP T-shirts will go out of style. Amen!

IF we know the promises of our real-life future, why do we spend so much time thinking, worrying, and stressing about today? Colossians 3 tells us to "set our hearts on things above" and affirms that we need to "put to death" those things of an "earthly nature". We should try to adopt a heaven mindset. We must start to consider all we do here and the impact it has on how we spend the rest of our real lives. Today, I pray that each of us be mindful of our today, yet live it to the fullest of God's glory;  knowing that our lifetime here on earth is but a twinkling in the eye of our next life in eternity. If we do this right, then in the words of Erykah Badu, I'll see you next lifetime! Be Blessed. XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the truth. If we know Christ Jesus as LORD and Savior,then we do have another life. "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Matthew 6:33.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are so extremely well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continue to bless your servant Shanelle, dear Heavenly Father! Protect the Smith family and give them Your direction and guidance.
    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Your prayers of intercession for my family and myself are a blessing. Thanks for supporting!

      Delete