Translate

Friday, May 8, 2015

Invalid

So, I took a 3 week hiatus from social media last month. I noticed a few things. First, I noticed that I had way more time on my hands to be way more productive in my life. I was more attentive and in tune with my family. I’m pretty sure I saved my own life by decreasing my exposure to harmful cell phone radiation! I also found that my morning started a bit more like it should have (most days) by having a little talk with the Lord and reading something from Him. Lastly, and I might be a wee bit ashamed to admit it, I found that I was way more confident.

Social media has found a way to cause some of us to seek validation through likes, comments, and double taps. Now, many readers will defensively say, I don’t care about any of that. I would challenge you to really think about it. So many of us share so much of ourselves with the ENTIRE globe! We want them to see our high points, our blessings. How cute our kids are, the new car we got, and how much someone else loves us. And don’t let us be “feeling ourselves” during a night on the town because timelines will indeed be FLOODED! Some of us even show the ugly parts; many of which should probably be reserved for more intimate group chats with close friends and family because some of that stuff is NOBODY else’s business! The truth is the ones of us who spend the most time posting to social media might very well be the ones who are seeking the greatest amount of validation. When people respond to what we say or how we look, it makes us feel important. It makes us feel special.

Truthfully, I struggled with sharing this blog because I didn’t want people to NOT like it. I was afraid that people would be like, “That’s whack or whatever”. The proof in that was the first day I shared on Facebook. I had to literally say to myself, “Don’t check that page every 5 seconds to see what people have to say.” It was hard. And I'll admit I did do a few sneak peeks. But I could tell that 3 weeks earlier God definitely told me to chill on social media to prepare me for this move. Had I not taken a break and gotten more accustomed to a life without it, I would have probably kept the app open so I could see all responses in real time! #TRUTH


In that time away, I found that God was whispering to me: All of that is invalid. It’s irrelevant. It doesn’t matter. When I say you are valid, you are. Because I made you with a divine purpose and fashioned you after Myself, you were born with a validity that no one else can take away. I “like” everything about you, so my thumbs stay up, even when you disappoint Me. I comment on your life through the traces of joy I place in your heart, even when it’s aching. I double tap your image every single moment of every single day, even with your cocked headscarf, pillow print on the cheek, and slobber marks. I heart you. So, what’s the point in looking elsewhere? And then I was like…*insert Kerry Washington meme here* “You Right!”  I pray you too seek validation only through He who is able to keep you from falling and present you blameless to our Father…the author and the finisher of your faith…the only one whose likes, comments, and double taps truly matter. Be Blessed. XOXO

3 comments:

  1. I must admit I start reading Gods word I stop I start but from 7:30 to 3:30 I lesson to someone reminding me of his goodness and faithfulness 92.3 FM, which I know for myself but the continual reminders help me so much. The point is that's the only reason that I have not connected to face book I do not want to get rapped up with that and not read the Bible

    ReplyDelete