Translate

Monday, May 18, 2015

MOVE!

In the early 2000s, Ludacris had a popular single called "Move". The lyrics have no need for discussion in this blog, but the chorus, minus an expletive here or there, is oftentimes very fitting for some of us in life.

Move....
get out the way, get the way...get out the way
Move

Some of us are seeking a blessing, a revelation, an answer, or just a change. We are looking for God to do some things in our lives, but we are in our own way. God is sitting there like, "So you want me to bless you with a husband, but you keep going out with the loser that is breaking our heart time and again..." or "You want financial freedom, but you keeping spending your money on clothes, shoes, and liquor..." or "You want a new job, but you haven't updated your resume or gone to one job fair?"

The truth of the matter is that we often block what God has in store for us because we are asking and waiting for Him to do it all. We are throwing up prayers and requests like God is a genie in a bottle, here to grant our every request. However, the Word tells us plain as day, "Faith without works is dead." So how can we expect something for nothing when He's already given us the perfect sacrifice FREE OF CHARGE?

I don't know about you, but I can definitely relate to this. I'll pray, "Lord please bless our finances. Give us the will to say no to temporary pleasures and fixes for the greater gain of financial security and a life without debt." Then, I'll go to the mall or my husband will buy a round of drinks. Meanwhile, God is like, "Soooo, you prayed for this thing that you are not willing to sacrifice for...okay...I'll wait." I'm standing in my own way, ME, and not just in this area! I am asking for something and not doing the work or making the changes it will take to receive it. God is revealing to me that He won't do for me what I'm not serious about. However, He also reminds me daily that He is a patient God, but He's no genie. He's not spoiling me. He's not going to give me everything I ask for because I prove to Him time and time again that I'm just not ready for what I want.

The scriptures tell us that if we are faithful in the small things, we will be blessed with more. Yet, many of us don't realize that we are standing in our own way by not taking the small steps that will help us reach our more lofty goals. We are our own biggest roadblock. We want to lose weight, but we refuse to eat well. We want a relationship, but we refuse to work on ourselves first. We want peace in our marriages or a change in our spouse, but we refuse to give him/her/it to God, instead we keep nagging and trying to force the changes on our own. We want our children to grow in God's grace and know Him for themselves, but we don't pray together or take them Sunday school. We want, want, want...like baby's seeking only to suckle at a mother's breast and be held and coddled, we approach God. And even though we are His children, we have been weened. Therefore, it is up to us to do what is necessary to show God that we are serious in our requests, that we mean what we say and are ready for Him to give us what we ask for. My prayer for each of us today is that we give God the proof. That we fast and sacrifice and step away and cut off and quit and do whatever form of self-discipline it takes to prove ourselves worthy of whatever it is we want. God tells us to seek and ask, but He also demands that we do something. So let's all make an effort to move, get out the way. Get out of our own way and let God move in our lives. Be blessed. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment