Translate

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Ole' Ungrateful Kids

The holidays are upon us. It's generally my favorite time of year. Why? Because people seem to be nicer, happier, more loving. Something about this time of year makes things seem a bit better, even if they aren't at all what we'd like.

In my home, with the holidays, come gift requests. I like asking my kids what they want or giving them a toy ad to circle through. It's fun! And I remember my mom hyping us up every year when we were little, even if she couldn't afford anything on that list.

But for the past 2 years, I have had some real conversations with my children about their blessings. I've told them that they have so much to be thankful for and that there are some kids who don't have basic needs met. Yet, here they are with so much! So much love, so much provision, so much stuff!

On the car ride home the other day, I asked my sons and my niece to "remind me" about what they wanted for Christmas. They couldn't wait! Talking over each other, apologizing, agreeing, questioning one another's choices. Finally, I asked them how often they still played with the toys they all got last year. SILENCE! After a while, I antagonized them with, "Ummm..I'm waiting!"

My youngest son said, "Mama I play with my superheroes some of the time but that other stuff just got a little boring."

My niece said, "Weeelll, I play with some of my toys some of the time, but...I mean I just have my favorites and don't really play with the rest."

Then, very candidly, my oldest son said, "I'll be honest, I only play with my remote control car, my Nerf gun, and any ball, but mostly, I just play my video games."

So, I followed up, "Well why are ya'll asking for all of these toys if ya'll are only going to play with them for a little while and then get bored with them and stop playing with them?"

Almost all at once, accompanied with laughter and an unspoken "DUH", they all replied, "Because it's Christmas!"

All I could do is laugh and tease them with, "Ole ungrateful little kids!"

That's when it dawned on me...so am I.

God blesses me abundantly. Yet, here I am, greedy as ever, still asking for more. He gives me a job, but I want a raise. I have clothes and shoes FOR DAYS, but still shop for the latest threads. He gives me gifts and talents, but I still wish I could sing! God has given me so much, that I am a spoiled brat who often looks past my blessings to focus on what I lack, which is very little. God has put me through the fire, time and time again. But, I've also been kept and provided for in ways that others can't imagine. For the trek to the top of every one of my mountains, God has given me rest. God has graced me and bestowed upon me more than I deserve. So, who am I to continue to ask Him for more? As the old song goes, "If the Lord doesn't do anything else for me...He's done enough."

Sometimes, we spend way to much time "making our list" of things to petition God for, when we haven't even taken the time to appreciate the things He's already given! We want more than what we need. We ask for things we aren't even ready for. We get upset when we don't get what we want, not understanding that everything that we want, isn't what we need. When is the last time you took inventory of what God has done? Where's that list? Where is the "thank you" instead of the "please"? God has many of us spoiled beyond measure and we therefore, without even knowing, can act ungrateful. But much like me with those ole ungrateful kids in my car, He smiles or laughs and continues to love and provide for us, despite ourselves...and for that, we should ALL be grateful. Happy Holidays and Be Blessed XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment