Translate

Monday, June 22, 2015

Who do you think you are?

Early in our relationship, I used to wonder why my now husband would choose a girl like me. He was (and still is) handsome and accidentally popular. He always had cool shoes, and he appeared to come from a much better financial situation than me. It was weird to me that he would choose me. Sometimes, it still is.

In a recent conversation with some girlfriends, I realized that a lot of us see ourselves in a light other than what God intended. My wonderment to my husband picking me is because for so long (and sometimes still), I saw myself as nothing more than a little girl from the trap. I didn't look like society's view of beauty. I wasn't shaped the way they said I should have been. My parents weren't married. We moved a lot. We were broke. I just wasn't "up to par," right? WRONG!

God sees me for who I really am. He sees you for who YOU really are! The Spirit of God made us and the Almighty gives us life (Job 33:4). He made me in His own image and His own likeness (Genesis 1:27)! In His own Word, God tells me that I am "beautifully and wonderfully" made (Psalm 139:14)! We are God's workmanship; he crafted us intricately (Ephesians 2:10). We are His temple and He dwells in us (1 Corinthians 3:16). God made EVERYTHING beautiful in its time (Ecclesiastes 3:11)! How is God going to make us look like Him and be proud of His work if it's ugly? He made nothing of the such! We are all beautiful and deserving of being called such!

Many of us see ourselves in the light that the world sees us. Because of this, we've restricted ourselves to insurmountable levels of insecurity. We have lacked confidence for years. We don't know our worth so we reduce ourselves to the world's cheap values. Some of us have never seen ourselves as the beautiful creature that God took the time to specifically design. We only know ourselves as ugly, fat, stupid, or ratchet. We look in the mirror and we see a sexual object to be used for other people's pleasure! We see ourselves as tough and attitudinal, so we gotta jump every time we feel froggy! We see ourselves through the lenses of the ones who had absolutely NOTHING to do with our creation.

The next time you look in the mirror, see yourself for who you REALLY are. Who have you helped? Who have you loved? What are our best facial features? What are our best physical assets? What really makes us beautiful?!? 1 Samuel 16:7 says that the Lord "sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart". With that, who do you THINK you are? Do you think you are who the world says, or do you think you are who God created you to be? That which a man thinketh, that shall he become. Be Blessed AND Beautiful! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment