Translate

Monday, June 1, 2015

Misery Loves Company

When I was younger, I remember my mom coming home from work some days GOING OFF! My brothers and sister and I would be like, "What is WRONG with her?!?" or "This lady is crazy!" If you grew up with a good, strong mom, you know what I'm talking about! As an adult, there are times I find myself doing the same thing. My husband will grab the boys and take cover below...in the Man Cave. Now that I am a working mom with my own family, I understand that most of the time my mom came in on a random rampage, she'd probably had a bad day at work. Because of this, her whole attitude was jacked up and she managed to bring the whole house into her stratosphere of negativity. I've been there more times than I care to admit myself.

There are times that I notice this type of behavior in people in general. Someone's marriage is on the rocks, so they begin to pour negative juice into the cups of other couples. Someone hates their job, so like a cancer, they start to infect their coworkers with negative sentiments of the company or its personnel. Someone is in a season of turmoil and strife, so they lash out at any and every one to bring them into their space of sadness and desperation. Negative people love to draw others into their abyss of discomfort and anguish. Why? Because no one wants to be alone.

If I'm being honest with myself (and ya'll), I've been on both sides of this equation. I'm in a negative place in my marriage? Don't ask me for relationship advice. You in a negative space at work? I probably shouldn't have lunch with you. My kids on a nerve? Don't ask me about family planning! I've been both the giver and the receiver of negativity. Why? Because I'm human. And? And it's when I'm furthest from God that negativity is able to take its stronghold, regardless of which side it comes from.

When we are overcome with negativity, we are seeking joy from a space other than where it undoubtedly comes. Psalm 28:7 says, "The Lord is my strength and my shield;my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy,and with my song I praise him." When we get bogged down by tests, trials, relationships, or simply the nature of being human, it is from God that we maintain our strength, faith, and joy. Beware of negativity. It comes in all shapes and sizes, from a multitude of sources - including ourselves. Today, I pray that when we find ourselves freely passing out negativity to the ones we love, we make sure to go back to the source of our true joy. I pray that when we find that others are filling our buckets with negativity, we lovingly remind them of where strength, faith, and joy come from. I pray that we remove ourselves from miserable surroundings and instead opt to sit in the company of our God. Be Blessed. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment