Translate

Thursday, July 16, 2015

The Village People

While crossing many streets during our time in DC, we learned a lot about jaywalking and why it's not wise. However, one particular day, as we followed the traffic signal that gave us time to walk, danger fell upon us.

Trying to ensure that all 13 members in our party made it safely across the street, we darted across while the "WALK" signal flashed. The 3 older boys were of course in front, followed by Uncle Larnell. The rest of the party lazily dragging behind. As I looked down to make sure my youngest son's little legs didn't fail him, I hear Larnell yelling with urgent volume, "STOP! YA'LL STOP RUNNING NOW!" I look up to see a red car at top speed, making a left turn onto the street we're crossing. My oldest son is the first of the three boys running across the street. If he doesn't stop, he's hit by this bat out of hell and, most likely, dead. Upon hearing his uncle's voice, he and the other 2 boys stopped dead in their tracks.  Kaleb was inches away from what could have been his final foot race.

As a mom, the visual of that moment haunted me a bit over vacation. As a matter-of-fact, I'll probably never forget that day. But I thought about the importance of the  village. Both of my sons are being raised to obey the trusted authority in their lives. Immediate action happened when Kaleb heard his uncle's voice. He was halted dead in his tracks because he knows that voice. He trusts that voice. He obeys that voice.

Yep...you know where this is headed. How do we respond to God's authority?  When He speaks, do we take immediate action? Do we trust Him? Do we obey Him? Standing with a palpatating heart in the middle of a busy DC intersection I saw what it should look like, but I can't honestly say I always oblige.

Had Kaleb not listened and obeyed, something terrible could have happened. Much like life. We do our own thing. We hear God tell us to stop, but we don't. Sometimes, by His grace he spares us. Other times, the end result is terrible.

Today, I pray that we all be groomed to trust God's voice. That it become a familiar and frequent authority over our lives. From there, I pray our most immediate action and our continued obedience. And most importantly, I pray we raise our children to trust the ones we trust with their lives, especially the One through which they will have eternal life. Be careful out there. Be Blessed. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment