Translate

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Technical Difficulties

So, my family and I are taking an extended road trip to DC and Charlotte. After packing our lives into organized chaos called luggage and getting everyone ready for the early morning departure,  I thought to myself, "Welp. Whatever we left, I can get at Walmart." As my kids slept in the back seat, I waited in anticipation to discover what I left. Anyone who's ever had to pack for a whole squad knows this is inevitable. After a brief restroom break, I saw my oldest son rummaging through his "fun bag". A few seconds go by and he asks, "Mama is my tablet in here?" Oh ____!

This is major for so many reasons. First, car rides with elementary age children require as much distraction as possible. Now, to know my son is to know that his tablet is his NUMBER ONE distraction! And instead of being in the car where it would serve it's best purpose, it was still sitting on the charger, in our home, hundreds of miles behind us.

He was visibly disappointed. He asked if I'd grabbed his DS. Nope. They were both in the charging station. So, he put on his headphones and watched Turbo. After a while, he asked his little brother to play his tablet. Then, he read a book. Meanwhile, I may or may not have shed a tear or two. No one can prove it, but if I did, the reason would be this: I felt like a bad mom.

Of all the things to leave?! Of all the kids to not have technology?! This was bad, real bad, Michael Jackson! I was upset. My husband tried to fix it Bless his heart, but bad timing because I snapped at him, "I can't remember EVERYTHING all the time!" He calmly said, "I know." And in that moment, God showed himself.

I saw my son's disappointed not trumped by his excitement for where we were headed. Like God knows the plans He has for us. Even though we disappoint Him sometimes, He is still excited for where we are headed. Whatever we do to shame us in His presence, it's not enough to remove Him from us.

Meanwhile, my husband's calm response to my frantic emotion was reassuring. Sometimes,  we find ourselves trying to keep it all together. We are working hard, caring for children, going to school, serving in church, and the pressure gets to us from time to time. We bend...a little more...a little more...then...SNAP! We break. It's too much. But God whispers to us, calmly, in the midst of our whirlwind emotions, "I know." He knows we are trying. He knows we are working hard. He allowed us to break to reassure us and remind us to rely on Him.

Finally, much like those devices, many of us are scared to leave our comfortable stations. Instead of serving our greater purposes, we are sitting, charging, waiting for the "perfect moment" to be used by God.  John 14:12 says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do..." We all have a purpose to do God's work. What good are we to this work if we stay parked on the charger?? The same way my sister is next day mailing those devices, I challenge us to get off the charger sooner than later. Until then...Be Blessed. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment