Translate

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Shock and Awe

Last night, we threw one of my dearest friends a farewell party. As usual, the kids were in the back and the adults were in the front. I heard yelling, but paid it no mind because kids get loud. However, the yelling didn't stop and it didn't sound friendly. I went to the back to find my son and his girl "cousin" in a tussle. I...LOST IT!

After tossing my son into a room and having a heated conversation amidst other forms of discipline, I got the whole story from my "niece" and chastised all my nephews as well. They are kids. They are boys. They needed this lesson sooner than later.

My "niece" and I had a private conversation about trying to avoid physical encounters with guys. My son and I had a private conversation about why his hands should never be on a woman except in love. He cried. He went to talk to his "cousin" in private. He apologized to her for hitting her. She apologized to him for hitting him. He promised to never do it again. She said she knew he wouldn't and neither would she. She opened her arms for a hug. They hugged, cried, then shyly smiled at one another.

I saw in those kids the love of God. Sometimes, there are things that we honestly don't know are "not okay" until we do them. The aftermath shows us that maybe that thing wasn't a good idea. Sometimes, we will make choices that have harsh and swift consequences. Sometimes we will find ourselves in positions we'd rather not be in. There will be times that what we choose to do alters a relationship or a circumstance for the worst. Sometimes...experience is the best teacher.

But God. God is there to hear our repentance. With tears in our eyes and shame in our hearts, we come to Him in private. He listens to our apologies and the pleading in our voices. With an inexplicable love, He too opens His arms and takes us into His fold every, single time.

Some of us might need to have a private conversation with God today. We might need to apologize and seek forgiveness. We might need to hear Him say we're forgiven and feel the warmth of His embrace. Do it. Let Him assure you that His love, grace, mercy, and power are greater than any of your mistakes. Be Blessed. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment