Translate

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Stuck like Chuck

Have you ever wondered why you still have the same issues or struggles that you’ve been praying about for sooooo long? Me too. I wonder why I talk so much. I wonder why when no one asks my opinion, I give it to them anyway. I wonder why I shop for clothes and shoes when I need neither, but simply want more. I wonder why I say hurtful things to people I love when I’m super angry. I wonder why…

Well, sometimes, when our wonders are genuine and heartfelt, they are actually not wonders at all. They’re prayers in disguise. When we wonder without ceasing and carry these questions in our hearts, a heart where God dwells, we sometimes receive revelation.
One of the reasons that God allows us to live in the same struggle is to humble us. If we had it all together, we wouldn’t need God. If we had it all together…we’d be God! The truth of the matter is not having it all together keeps us from becoming proud and arrogant. The word says in Proverbs 11:2 that “when pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom”. If that’s the case, we have to have our issues in tow to keep us humble and to help us gain true wisdom, which is knowledge of the Lord.

Another reason that we keep some of our issues is because it makes us relational. There is an age old adage that says, “No man is an island,” and I believe this to be true. We all need someone to connect with and relate to. When we have issues that others have gone through or continue to share with us, we are able to witness to one another and become “living testimonies” to one another. It feels good to know that someone else has been where we are and may even be still there. It confirms for us that we are normal and human and, even with all our crazy issues, godly.

And maybe God allows us keep some of our struggles or maintain some of our issues because it forces us to seek Him and rely on Him and depend on Him. Maybe He affirms for us what Paul says that in 2nd Corinthians 12:9-11: But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

So, take heart and know that we are imperfect beings made perfect through God’s grace and mercy. He wants us to be reminded that we are flawed because it keeps us connected to Him. In Him we are made new…so hold on to the struggles you face and the issues that plague you, the ones you just can’t seem to shake. Hold on to them until, and if ever, God removes them. Until then, be humble, connect with others, and delight in your weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment