Translate

Monday, March 21, 2016

Let the Father In

When my youngest son was sick, the ER team did a complete work up. They took chest x-rays, swabbed him to test for flu strands, and even had him pee in a cup! I'm sure you can imagine the fun he had with that! However, the last part was the worst part...they needed to draw blood.

Now mind you, this was his SECOND time to the ER in a matter of one week, so he was in bad shape. Couple the age of 3 with dehydration from illness and add a dose of poor nurses struggling with such tiny phlebotomy, and you get a recipe for disaster! They said to me, "Mom, we're gonna need you to hold him still."

I'll be honest, I suck at this. Not because I'm a softy (maybe a little) but mostly because I can never hold these kids of mine well enough. When they feel threatened in any way, they are SUPER strong! When he was four, while getting an immunization in his thigh, my oldest son actually broke a needle...like literally BROKE IT! And who was supposed to be holding him at the time? You guessed it!

Fast forward a few years, and here I am again. Looking at the nurses with a faux confidence convincing enough to fool the best of them. Then, my husband returns with my oldest son and sees right through me. Micah is taking it like a champ, but squirming and trying to break free nonetheless. After the second nurse is called in, my husband approaches me gently and stares into my eyes with a look that simply says, "Please get out of the way woman."

I oblige, and my how things changed. Micah is still because daddy is stronger and firmer. Micah is calm because daddy can hold his focus away from the needles better than mommy. Micah is crying, but he's not acting a fool because he kinda can't, he has no power against daddy. And it dawns on me...

So many times in life, we are tricking ourselves into believing we have it all under control. The world is convinced we have it together, and we're doing alright. But we know, deep down, we are a flaming mess! We are having a hard time holding it all together, but we cant let on, no way! Then, the Father shows up.

If (key word IF) we heed his presence, we slide to the side and let him handle the situation. When we do that, a burden is lifted from us. A peace sweeps over all aspects of whatever we are going through. That mountain in front of us has no power against our God.

So, when we find ourselves in complicated instances that test our faith, cause us to question our abilities, or simply shake us to our core,  we have to let the Father in. Once we do, everything works out for our good...just like He said it would. Be Blessed XOXO

1 comment: