Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Refuse

You ever had one of those days where everything that could go wrong seems to do just that? Like Alexander's No Good Very Bad Horrible Day type stuff? That was my life last Saturday. 

I could have slept in, but my body betrayed me and woke up at 7 AM. Like whhhyyyyy??? So, I went to the gym, trying to do right by my "get fit" plan. However, no machines I like were available. So, I had to look like a dufus while learning to operate a new one. Since I got such an early start to my day, I figured I'd get my nails done. But of course, unbeknownst to me, there's an art fair in the area! There are absolutely NO parking spaces. So I continue my morning calorie burn and trek 2 blocks. I get to the nail shop 4 minutes after they open, and all of the techs are already with clients. Like how?? So, I walk around the corner for coffee. Oh! The line is out of the door long! #FixItJesus

Headed home there's an accident on the highway and unexpected traffic. Get ready to head out to my niece's birthday party and my son's asthma decides to show up in full force. One nebulizer treatment and 4 inhaler puffs later, we are finally out the door! We arrive only 10 minutes late...to the wrong damn party location! #ThisCantBeLife 

Driving to the REAL party, there is construction that plops me in bumper to bumper traffic. Moving at a snail's pace, the GPS and detour signs send me in a complete circle only to bring us back around to the party location which was milliseconds from where our original journey began. #JesusTakeTheWheel

Needless to say, I was frustrated as hell. I literally squeezed the steering wheel tightly, jerked my body back and forth against it, and let out a gut-wrenching, "AAAAGGGHHH," causing my kids to jump and then giggle. My sister and play sister laughed at me as they listened through the car speakers to my outrage and then my reinforced statement, "I refuse to have a bad day. I'm for real! I bet I don't. I bet my day gone get better. And I'm writing a letter to the mayor of Lee's Summit for this construction plan! But I'm NOT going to have a bad day!" I refused to have a bad day. I absolutely refused! The sun was shining. The weather was nice. We were alive and well. Was I irritated? Yep. Frustrated? Uh-huh. Annoyed? Hell yeah! But I refused to have a bad day.

There are 24 hours in every, single day. That's 1,440 minutes. That's 86,400 seconds! Sometimes you have to refuse to let the fleeting moments within a day determine your actual day. You have to refuse to give in to the minutes and push through to the last hour. Things might start out shaky or go left or even end on a sour note, but that is not the ENTIRETY of the day. And so it is in life. There will be good times, not-so-good times, and downright bad times. However, this doesn't equate to a bad life. Our outlook, our mindset, our faith, all determine what is actually good or bad. Perspective is everything. I'm sure if you did the math, for every "bad" thing you face, you can name at least 2 good things. Refuse to let a few uncomfortable seconds determine the outcome of your day. Be Blessed XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment