Translate

Wednesday, May 9, 2018

HANGRY!

Post-work text message: Babe, what's up for dinner?
Kids get in the car from school: Mama I'm hongry!
Kids wake up on Saturday: Mama what's for breakfast?
Sister stops by: What ya'll got to eat? 
Student comes by my office: Mrs. Smith you got some food? 

A typical day in my life involves at least 1,000 people asking me about food, and I get it! I eat 3 meals a day. Count them...3. When I don't eat, there is a short period of time before I go from simply hungry to down right HANGRY! Our bodies need to eat. It's not optional. Many of us are blessed enough to be so comfortable that when we get hungry, we are able to satisfy that hunger by opening the fridge or stopping at a restaurant. Regardless, if we have the means, as soon as our bodies indicate that we are hungry, we are going to do everything in our power to solve it. Why? Because to be hungry is not a great feeling.

The Spirit is the same way. Many of us are spiritually hungry. Some of us are downright famished because we are missing out on what we need to feed our souls. That could be not going to church regularly. Staying at a church that no longer provides what you need. Not reading. Not praying. Not encouraging. Not being encouraged. Being alone too often. Not practicing solitude enough. Doing too much in life, but not enough for the Spirit. 

I can only speak for myself when I say that I know what it's like to be hungry in the Spirit. Lately, I haven't been as full as my soul would like. I need to up my intake in the Spirit, but I'm struggling. As a result, I can find myself moody or temperamental or worried or doubtful. Very similarly to how I feel when I go from hungry to HANGRY! Sometimes, I even find myself feeling empty, and it's hard to get around in this life when your soul is on E.

Much like food is the source of our physical energy, interacting with God is the source of our spiritual energy. Now let's be clear, this looks a BUNCH of different ways, so don't let someone else's idea of a "healthy spiritual diet" determine your own. This could mean starting your day with devotion or meditation. This could be a walk in the park, enjoying the solitude of nature and the beauty of God's creation. Maybe brunch with friends over mimosas, sharing your wins and losses, encouraging one another to keep on keeping on. It could be Bible study, Sunday school, church service or revival. It could be an audiobook or daily devotional. Journaling. Going to therapy. Having a long overdue conversation with a loved one. Resting. Sitting in silence. Praying. Drawing. Watching something life-changing on television. So many ways to get in touch with God's presence. Regardless of how we do it, we must do it soon. Fill our Spirits with the presence of God, the knowledge of God, the realness of God, so that we satisfy our hunger. Eat well, stay full, and Be Blessed XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment