Translate

Friday, May 4, 2018

Hostage

We've all seen it. The scene in a film where someone has taken a group of captives hostage, refusing to let them go. Oftentimes, this scene concludes with a kick-ass negotiator talking the captives free or a never-miss sniper gunning the suspect down. Every now and then, they go the extra mile with fatalities in the midst of the hostile situation, but this is rare. One thing that all of the scenarios have in common is someone being held against their will. They are in a space and time that they did not choose. No matter what, they can't seem to break free.

I don't know about you, but I've been there in my own life. In these nearly 40 years on Earth, I've grown quite a bit. I'm not the same Shanelle from Longfellow Elementary, Lincoln Prep, or even Fisk University. There are elements of my core that are the same, but I'm honestly a much different version of myself. One who has endured way more of what life has to offer and the experiences have shaped new ideas, opinions, responses, reactions, or even the desire to be present in certain situations or around certain people. Face it. If you are the same person today that you were 20 years ago, you're missing life's lessons. If not, you are moving along on this journey called life to become who God intended you to be by growing and changing...evolving so to speak.

However, sometimes, we can find ourselves being held hostage to who we used to be. I know that this has happened to me. I have held myself hostage, forgetting that I've grown past certain mindsets and actions. People around me have held me hostage, not honoring my new self because they are more comfortable or more familiar with the old one. You used to be quick to pop off at the mouth, but now you're more likely to think before you speak. You used to be quick to fight, but now you walk away and cuss under your breath. You used to like to club and get drunk and have lots of sex, now you just want to go home and binge watch Netflix enjoying your beverages in your PJs and fuzzy socks. You used to say this, do that, think this, be that! You used to...but now you don't. 

People will hold you hostage to who you used to be because it takes too much work to get to know and honor the new you. You will hold yourself hostage to who you used to be because it scares you to think of who you may become. The world will hold you hostage to who you used to be because if you grow and change, that could inspire others to do the same. Don't you see? Don't you get it? Let God snipe anyone or anything that tries to act as a stronghold to keep you from growing in His grace and mercy. Let Him negotiate the minds and precepts of others while you walk in the freedom of your new self. If you are being held hostage by yourself or someone else, it's time to be set free and truly Be Blessed XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment