Translate

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Favor ain't Fair

There are times in life that everything falls into place. Times we don't ask, but God provides. Moments we aren't seeking, yet are found. Times of extreme favor. One of my spiritual mothers, First Lady Barnes used to tell me all the time, "Favor ain't fair." There are people who are without. People who have yearned for so long. Brothers and sisters in dark times, while you are basking in the light. There are two sides to this coin, but would you believe me if I told you both have received God's favor?

Growing up the way my siblings and I did, things could have turned out much differently. My brothers could have been in gangs or jail. My sister and I could have chosen to use our bodies to change our financial situation, or even worse, been forced to. But God...

I spent a lot of my time looking at others when my family was in those dark times. I'd wonder why my friends had daddies, nice shoes, stable homes, or shoot even a house phone and cable! It might seem shallow or ridiculous, but I often couldn't see God's favor for me because I was so busy looking at others. Here's what's funny...unbeknownst to me, others were looking at me too.
You see, we don't always look like what were going through. So, many people had no idea just how bad things were at the crib. I was smart. I exuded confidence. I was mature. I was funny. I had a likeable persona, could do my own hair well enough, and style what was in my closet to look a lil' different each week. Many girls from where I'm from, in the tough spots I'd been in, didn't have those means, gifts, or abilities.  Even in the midst of the mess, God favored me!

Someone reading this doesn't see how blessed they really are. Some of us don't see that even though we are a single parent and times get overwhelming, God has given us a support system to relieve some of that pressure. We don't see that there are parents out there without that structure, love, and support. There are those of us who are in dead end jobs, feeling stuck, looking at others with joy in their craft and wondering, "Why not us?" But yet, we work around people who feed our spirits and have perks that others just don't get day in and day out. Regardless of what is lacking, who is absent, or the unforeseeable future, God favors us, whether we notice it or not. 

Our circumstances are not concrete. We will have ebbs and flows in life. There will be mountain times and valley times. But God will still favor us, and it won't be fair. It's not fair because God is sovereign. He gives us what He wants, when He wants, how He wants. Because we belong to Him, regardless of what we see others having, doing, or being; we have to trust that we too are favored. Someone else is looking at who we are, what we have, and where we're headed in awe and amazement at God's work. THAT'S called favor. And favor ain't fair! Be Blessed. XOXO

1 comment:

  1. I pray for your continuance of this publication! God has and will continue to bless you as you continue to share what He puts on your heart to share.

    ReplyDelete