Translate

Friday, April 6, 2018

Bosom

When time and rest permit, my husband likes to lay on me. Most of the time, he opts for my thighs, which make perfect sense. However, there are times that he will lay his head on my chest which I think is hilarious! Why? Because I have ABSOLUTELY no pillows in that area! I mean I'm not quite the President of the ITBC, but I'm at least the Corresponding Secretary! So, we joke about this often. He'll lay his head there (on my sternum I guess?) and I'm like, "Now you know you ain't getting no cushion." To which he'll reply, "I know..." and draw me closer to him (as if that will make them somehow morph into D-cups).

But the other day, I paused to think about the closeness of this position. When I lie on his chest, his heartbeat soothes me to sleep. My children, when they were much smaller, would lie on their stomachs and drift to sleep on my chest, right against my heartbeat (man I miss that!). To get this close to someone, we must love and trust them. Lying so closely to them lets us know they are alive. Because we know they are present, we can rest in the sheer comfort of their existence.

That said, the word bosom is mentioned in the Bible over 50 times. It's not a very modern word, but it has very modern inclinations. The bosom is the chest, particularly the breast or pectoral. Beyond those tissues lie the lungs which maintain life with each breath we take. And even further within the chest cavity, we find the heart that sustains life with each beat. To lie in the bosom of one we love or accept someone into this space is a major act of intimacy. You are allowing them to lay where you live, to rest in your love.

This is how it is with God. When we are tired, in Him we find rest. When we are weary, in Him we find strength. Worried? Anxious? Unsure? Jealous? Annoyed? Conflicted? Whatever it is, if we trust him enough to rest in His love, we will be soothed. When the going gets tough, remember, it's not the size of the pillow, it's the impact of the love. Rest in His bosom, find peace for your soul, and Be Blessed. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment