Translate

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Mission in the Mess

A couple weeks back, I posted the Day 1 video for the #HBCUWALKINGBILLBOARD Campaign. On the first take, I said everything I needed to say. I hit the points that were most pertinent. I clarified the purpose and the intent. It was solid. Except...my hair was a mini-mess with frizz for days; I had on not an ounce of make-up; and the lighting in my office is hashtag terrible. So, I tried to do another take. I kept fumbling over my words. I tried to do another take-the phone fell off the desk. I tried one more take just in time for the 1st hour bell to ring...loudly...in the background. Finally, I said, "Forget it," and posted the original, fly-aways, frizz, and all! I was on a mission and didn't have time to be concerned with anything else.

There comes a time in all of our lives where this is the case. Some of us are sitting on our gifts and talents because we are waiting on the perfect moment to pitch our idea or make that move. Some of us are risking the loss of a great mate because we are waiting until all of our ducks are in a row or we really have our "ish" together. You know it's like that one friend. We all have one. She's always running from cameras because she doesen't want anyone to see her "looking like this."

But what if we are supposed to approach the mission despite the mess? What if we are supposed to perfect our craft with many imperfect attempts? What if we are to blossom into our best selves AFTER the union? What would happen if the camera snapped and people actually saw you "looking like that"? I'll tell you what would happen. We would be living fearlessly, walking in our purpose without regard for images, perceptions, or opinions.

In the midst of our mess is our ministry. Hold fast to that. Birthed from our toughest tests are the impact of our testimonies. There is a message in the mayhem. Blessings are born from burdens. We can find favor in the foolishness. And if we squint hard enough, we can find God in the most gruesome of circumstances. It's time out for the perfect presentation. Life is way to short to try to get it right 100% of the time. Instead, we have to accept that sometimes, as out of sorts as it may seem, we are doing exactly what God told us to do, living as He would have us to, even if we look at hot mess while doing it! No matter what, complete the mission and Be Blessed XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment