Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Please Don't Judge Me...

I judge people. Sometimes, I know full well I’m coming for them. Other times, it’s unintentional. But I definitely do it. Sometimes out loud. Sometimes simply in my head. I have unwarranted opinions. Sometimes I share them, even when they’re unsolicited. Other times, I think them…HARD…and pray they don’t escape my lips. I judge people. Plain and simple. And what I can’t stand is the person who says with much confidence, “That’s why I don’t judge people.” YES. YOU. DO! Chances are the moment that phrase came out of your mouth, you were in a conversation with a person you felt was being judgmental. So, you threw a little shade with your “that’s why I don’t judge people” statement. Hence, you were judging them for being judgmental!

However, when the Word tells us to judge not, it’s not telling us not to have an opinion. No. What it’s actually saying is don’t decide a person’s fate. Don’t decide that a person is going to heaven or hell based off your beliefs or opinions. This is something that many, many church folk struggle with. There’s so much that has been made up and held fast that they have a hard time shaking the thought that where a person spends their eternal life is NOT a human decision!

Tupac once said, “Only God can judge me,” and he was right! We have a way of spewing fear and hate into the masses as a means of drawing them to God. That’s sooooo counter to the message! We have been taught that if you are gay, you are going to hell. Really? Because a HHUUUGGEE percentage of church folk WERE conceived or DID conceive out of WEDLOCK. Are they too going to hell? If you kill yourself, that’s the ultimate sin because you can’t repent, so you’re going to hell. Really? And we know that becauuusseee…If a murderer can take someone else’s life  and still go on to glory, SURELY a person who felt the weight of the world was too much has the same chance.


Chris Brown's ballad makes this request: "Please don't judge me/and I won't judge you/'cause it could get ugly/before it gets beautiful." THIS is real life, so show some real love (shout out to Mary J.). You see, people often spend so much time worried about what other people are doing that they develop the false sense that they ALSO get to determine where that person will spend life after death. NEWSFLASH! You ain’t got that kind of power dawg! Chill. Let people live. Offer righteous advice. Love them despite disagreeable beliefs. Have your own opinions. But please, (in my Rihanna voice) don’t get it twisted. You have no say in where they are headed so HURSH! (and Be Blessed! XOXO)

4 comments:

  1. Wow...it isn't often that something smacks me in the face but this certainly did. I have been guilty of passing judgement in the exact manner you spoke of with those closest to me. Just because someone is more vocal with their opinions doesn't make my non-vocal opinions any less judgemental. Oftentimes, I believe that people, Christians especially, come from a place of trying to "fix" a problem- one we perceive as our duty to speak on and in turn pass judgement on. But that same judgement does more pushing away than drawing near. By living in the true essence of our Heavenly Father and coming from a place of Love, we have done or part. Thanks for a great thought-provoking read. It hit home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sid! I'm just seeing this! I hardly check the comments, but I'm glad this one reached you. BTW: Still waiting for you to come through with a good word...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sid! I'm just seeing this! I hardly check the comments, but I'm glad this one reached you. BTW: Still waiting for you to come through with a good word...:-)

    ReplyDelete